Saturday, February 2, 2008

QUICKVIEW: Rue De L'Espoir- ++ / $$

Just got back from a breakfast at "The Rue" in Providence. Pretty good breakfast, but man, the home fries were the best I've had. Crispy and spicy. Really excellent. It's unfortunate they stop serving breakfast so early during the week, 11am, but on Saturday and Sunday they serve 'till 2:30pm, which is great. Since I live so far away, it's hard to make it, and the breakfast is very good, but I have some places near me that also serve excellent breakfast and weekend brunch. The Rue has a very nice and rustic interior. Lots of wood and a nice entrance. The dining area is larger than the outside lends you to think. They have a good and sinfully delicious selection of crepes. But then, what crepes aren't sinfully delicious? Healthy breakfast? Ha! Go eat some soy, you hippy.

I've eaten dinner there once before and was decently whelmed. I was very impressed by the reasonable prices. They have a good selection of pricier fair, under the "Eat Seriously" section, but their large lunch selection is where the real value is at. The prix fixe menu is also good and well worth the $25 cost. I was impressed by the cheese board. It's a very good selection and is reasonably priced at $14. Similar boards at other Providence eateries hover around the $20 mark.

UPDATE: 2/5/08- I just realized I never really articulated directly why I rated them as I did. Everything was good, but since nothing really stood out, I'd only ever go if I was in the direct area again. The food is a very good value, and I liked the place a lot, so we'll see.

http://www.therue.com/


View Larger Map

Rue Del L'Espoir
99 Hope Street
Providence, RI. 02906

Hours
Breakfast (Extended menu on weekend)
Monday through Friday 7:30am to 11:00am
Saturday & Sunday 7:30am to 2:30pm
Lunch
Monday through Friday 11:30am to 5:00pm
Dinner
Sunday through Thursday 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm to 10:30pm

No comments: