Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Frozen Delight

I was poking around the local Dave's Supermarket and invariably found myself staring at the dessert case. I noticed a new brand, David Glass, and figured to give it a try. I tried his Cheesecake, which he advertises as so rich it serves eight.

Well, I'll start off with the bad. That's a complete lie. If you and a bunch of cheesecake lovers converge, you'll be lucky to squeeze four slices out of this. This was a small, freaking cake. See, in that photo, those are tea plates. Barely seven inches across. And for a six-inch wide cake, this thing cost a fortune. You can order this thing online for $18.95, and an eight-inch cake costs an bonkers $24.98. You can go down to a local bakery and get four, large slices of cheesecake for four bucks apiece. Or you can go to a restaurant and get a gargantuan slice of cake for usually no more than eight clams. This cake is definitely over-priced.

Now, about the good, the cake. Yep. It can't be denied, this is some good cheesecake. Its texture was spot-on, and the flavor was smooth and sweet. The flavor was a bit weak, though. I expect cheese cake to taste very much like cheese, and this cake was lacking in that department. If you're a local, cheesecake from Emilio's Bakery, or if you're on the road, L'Epicureo, are more pleasing alternatives. Although, I guess they should receive some serious kudos for making a frozen cheesecake that can be mentioned in the same breath as fresh ones.

If it wasn't for the price, I think I would have been happier with my purchase. David Glass makes the best frozen cheesecake I've ever had, but at a price that puts it in the upper echelon of freshly-baked cakes from local producers; an arena in which it can't compete.

UPDATE 3/19/09: The cakes are available for around $9 at Dave's Market. This makes them far and away worth a purchase.

No comments: